Have you been making extra efforts at home to go green or conserve energy in an attempt to lower your utility bills? Encouraging your family to make big lifestyle changes can be overwhelming at first, especially when people aren’t used to thinking about ways to conserve energy.
However, instead of focusing upon the adults – since they have deeper-set habits that are harder to break – we recommend teaching your children to save energy so that you can reduce how much energy your home uses each month. When the kids get home from school each day, don’t let the learning end! Teach your children about energy conservation and saving energy, because when they adopt these habits young, they are more likely to continue them as adults.
- Start them off with simple things like turning off the lights when leaving a room.
- Next, introduce the idea of turning off electronics when they aren’t in use.
- Finally, encourage them to conserve water in the kitchen and bathroom by turning the water off when washing hands or brushing teeth.
Feeling overwhelmed? Not to worry. We’ve got a few great resources for you to teach your kids ways to conserve energy!
- Check out First Choice Power’s Kid’s Zone to learn how exciting and simple it is to conserve energy and help Mother Nature.
- The S. Energy Information Administration has a website especially for kids where kids will have fun solving puzzles, taking quizzes and even performing science experiments!
Saving is easy when the whole family gets involved!